Saturday, November 17, 2007

Day 17: The Mob Mentality

I can't write in noisy places. I can't write with people around me. I don't do well in crowds.

These are the words I've always told myself. Usually when anyone else had the nerve to tell me I couldn't do something, my response was, 'Oh yeah? Watch this."

I seem to have told myself that too. Because after two write-ins at Starbucks under my belt I've discovered I can write in noisy places, I can write with other people around me and I couldn't care less about a crowd.

All I need is a few other writers (aka - the mob) and Nikki the Drillmaster with her 30 minute timer (setting up the write as fast as you can mentality) and an incredibly unhealthy amount of sugar and caffeine.

4,100 sugar and caffeinated words later and I've proven the mob mentality works even for those of us who were certain it wouldn't.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kelly, I thought the same thing but now my favourite place to write is Starbuks.

Great word count! Congratulations. Wish I could have been there yesterday.

Anonymous said...

I didn't think I could write with all kinds of chatter going on around me, but these write-ins are proving to be very productive for me.

Definitely think we should keep them going, after NaNo ends.