Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The End of Week 1

Well this is it, Day 7. By the end of today we will have completed our first full week of NaNoWriMo 2007! So let’s do a little check in:

Are you happy with the story you selected?

Has it shaped up as you expected or have you already taken some unexpected twists and turns?

Has NaNo taught you anything about your writing style you didn’t already know?

For myself, I’m thrilled to be writing a western again and I love these poor, pathetic, damaged souls who showed up and let me tell their story. I had done an outline beforehand but my characters have minds of their own and I find story elements already getting changed or dropped or newly created. That’s what I love about a first draft. And going at this rate of speed means there’s no time to second guess yourself. You just barrel ahead and hope for the best. As for what NaNo has taught me? It’s proven I really can buckle down and write a first draft fast, which means I can probably do a book in six months like I hoped. And that the internal editor isn’t nearly as loud or as pushy as I gave it credit for being. In fact...I’m starting to think it’s a bit of a sloth, more than happy to kick back and slack off on the couch watching re-runs of Oprah.

So how about the rest of you?

4 comments:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

LOL! Yeah, mine's kicking back getting some extra zzz's. I've really let my normal working habits take a hibernation. I've been writing major scenes out of sequence. It's really been taking shape, though I know it means stuff I've written previously just won't make any sense. But I'm forcing myself not to care about that.

Anonymous said...

What have I learned so far?? Hmm.

1. That I can write really, really fast (and surprisingly- not half bad) when I give my internal critic the boot.

2. That I don't need to write scenes in chronological order and my story still works.

3. That switching between genres is a good thing for me, as long as I don't abandon any one story for too long.

4. And best of all, what a great group this really is, and that I need their support to keep me from second guessing myself! :-)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

-I'm trying to be happy about the story I selected. It's hard work.

-It's not shaping up like I expected so I have to decide if these twists and turns are better - or not.

-What has NaNo taught me about my writing style? Hmm - the jury's still out on this one.